Built-Up Roof Repair and Installation in Atlanta
Built-Up Roofing Experts Serving Marietta and Alpharetta
Many commercial buildings have flat roofs, which can be vulnerable to weather, UV radiation, and ponding water. While some building managers have switched to newer roofing systems like TPO, others still prefer the sturdiness of traditional built-up roofs, which can be a cost-effective option for waterproofing and UV radiation protection.
As a fully licensed and insured roofing company, Colony Roofers knows our way around all kinds of commercial roofing, including built-up roof repair and installation in Atlanta. Our skilled team is made up of innovative, detail-oriented problem solvers who can determine the best solution for your roof based on your preferences, needs, and budget. Whether you are looking to install a built-up roof for the first time or need a simple repair on an existing built-up roof, we are the team to call.
Find out more about built-up roofing or schedule a service appointment by calling (678) 365-3138 or contacting us online. We offer free estimates and financing options.
We offer a full range of residential and commercial services for Atlanta, GA, and surrounding communities. Find out how we can help by calling (678) 539-8578
Advantages of Built-Up Roofing
Built-up roofing—also known as “BUR” or tar and gravel roofing—is one of the oldest roofing systems used in the United States, and its continued use demonstrates just how reliable and durable it is. If your business already uses this type of roofing system, you know this already. If you have not ever explored built-up roofing, it is worth considering the material’s many strengths.
Benefits of built-up roofing include:
- Excellent durability. Built-up roofing is known for its weather resistance. It is constructed by layering ply sheets and asphalt or bitumen on top of one another and then applying a surfacing layer of gravel or stone over the entire roof. This creates a solid barrier capable of withstanding strong winds, hailstorms, heavy rains, and other potentially damaging weather conditions.
- Enhanced energy efficiency. The thermal mass provided by built-up roofs helps them achieve improved energy efficiency. Thermal mass is a term used to describe how quickly a material absorbs and retains heat, as well as how slowly it releases it back into the environment. Built-up roofs have higher thermal mass than some other types of roofs due to their thicker layers of coal tar and asphalt, allowing them to better retain heat and keep interior spaces. This will reduce the need to use a commercial building’s heating and cooling systems, saving your business money on utility bills.
- Exceptional waterproofing. Built-up roofing’s waterproofing power comes from its additional layers underneath the waterproof membrane. If the top layer becomes compromised, for example, the layers underneath will still combat water intrusion and help protect your building from leaks.
- Strong fire resistance. The combination of asphalt and tar paper used in the construction of built-up roofs helps prevent the spread of fire by providing a barrier that works to resist extremely high temperatures. The asphalt used in built-up roofs also has flame retardant properties that help to slow down the spread of fire, giving firefighters extra time to respond and contain a blaze before it causes further damage.
- Relatively low maintenance requirements. Built-up roofing’s durability means it should not require constant maintenance if it has been properly installed. Still, it is in your best interest to schedule professional maintenance annually, and you should visually inspect your built-up roofing on a regular basis, especially after a major storm hits. Your business’s built-up roofing may need repairs if you notice open or split joints, blistering, ponding water, cracks, undulations, or waves.
If your commercial roof has sustained damage or general wear and tear, we can offer superior built-up roof repair and installation services in Atlanta. Whether your existing built-up roof is experiencing problems that need addressing or you need an entirely new roof, we have established ourselves as one of the area’s leading commercial roofers by always providing outstanding service through quality workmanship using materials from leading manufacturers.
From the first layers of bitumen and felt to the final layer of protective aggregate, you will know a Colony Roofers project by the level of craftsmanship put into it. You can trust us to never cut corners and always offer fair pricing on every project. We also offer some of the best long-term product warranties around.
The work crew was amazing, replaced the roof in a single day.- Robert Y.
The Colony Roofers team was very responsive and professional.- Mike H.
Jennifer was incredibly helpful and informative.- Ariel G.
Colony Roofers is very professional, attentive to details, communicative, and fast.- Karen M.
Zach from Colony Roofers was incredibly helpful and responsive.- Rachel W.
They were professional and the ease of the process was awesome.- Jacqueline H.
Colony roofers did the most thorough inspection (inside-attic and outside)- Gina M.
Our business has been using Colony Roofers for the last two years for all of our roofing needs- Martin
How Built-Up Roofing Installation Works
Installing a built-up roof is a complex process that requires several steps to ensure proper installation and long-term reliability. It should only be undertaken by a trained professional.
When you hire our expert roofers, we will first clean the surface of your business’s roof and remove any dirt, debris, or other materials that may interfere with the installation. Once the area has been cleared, we will apply a base sheet of felt paper to your roof using either nails or staples. This provides an additional layer of protection against water intrusion while also helping to create a smooth surface for the additional layers of felt that will be added later.
Next, we will install layers of asphalt-saturated felt paper and other materials in overlapping patterns across the entirety of your roof’s surface. The number of layers will depend on the unique needs of your commercial property and will be tailored to achieve maximum protection.
Once all the needed layers have been laid down, we will apply a heavy coating of asphalt or coal tar over the entire roof surface using one of several special tools. This creates yet another barrier against water intrusion and helps increase durability in areas exposed to extreme weather conditions. After letting the coating dry completely, we can also cover it with gravel to help protect it from UV rays. Finally, we will seal off all seams and edges with plastic flashing material, which helps prevent water from entering any crevices or cracks in the roof surface.
Explore Built-Up Roofing Today
When you need a local, experienced crew for built-up roofing repair or installation in Atlanta, turn to our trusted team. If, for any reason, we determine built-up roofing is not right for your business, we offer a broad range of commercial roofing solutions that can fit any project.
Does your built-up roof need repairs? Call (678) 365-3138 or contact us online today.