What is the best coating for metal roof?
For a large structure like a commercial or industrial business, metal roofing is commonplace. While metal roofing is durable and long lasting, it needs a metal roof coating. What is the purpose of metal roof coating is a metal roof is durable on its own?
Metal roof coating and sealer add layers of protection to a metal roof, eliminating the possibility of leaks and make it rust preventive. Metal roof coating is an innovative way to make a metal roof more energy efficient, a utility bill cost cutter.
You’ll get the best deal from a metal roof coating when its applied as soon as it starts to age. Early bird get the worm and early metal roof coating gets a longer life. When you ignore small things like aging, your roof will develop more problems that could end up costing more money, as much as four times more.
So, how do you choose the metal roof coating for your commercial building’s metal roof? There are roof conditions like leaking seams, flashing, or rust that will require a specialized roof product prior to the metal roof coating. There isn’t a commercial roof that doesn’t have some physical issue, so you’ll need to take those of your metal roof in consideration before choosing a metal roof coating.
Fortunately, there is an organization, ASTM (American Society for Testing Materials) that has developed national testing procedures stands of elastomeric metal roof coatings. With this set of standards, commercial structure owners are able to evaluate the different metal roof coatings and compare them to the physical issues of their roof.
The ASTM standards for testing include the following characteristics:
- Tensile strength
- Perm factor
- Moisture gain by weight
- Peel adhesion
- Tear resistance
It is the opinion for this organization that the importance of those characteristics is equal for evaluating a metal roof coating. With this being said, elastomeric metal roof coating is a liquid applied with brushes and rollers, offering a commercial metal roof several benefits that paint can’t:
- A Longer Life: Elastomeric flat metal roof coating is a seamless layer over the entire roof, providing a lifelong protection from the elements. A metal roof life is extended by as many as twenty years with this metal roof coating.
- Energy Efficiency: Urban heat island is a major concern today and with metal roof coating, the UV ray heat absorption can be minimized. A white metal roof coating reflects the sun and solar heat, keeping the building’s interior cooler, which eases the strain and use of the HVAC cooling system
- Protection from the Elements: Elastomeric flat metal roof coating is solid application that is durable in high winds because it can’t be lifted and ripped off by the seams. Because it can be applied in various thicknesses, it is another layer of protection to the roof, the building, and the contents.
- Easy Maintenance and Repair: Repairing an elastomeric flat metal roof coating is done simply by reapplying the coating over the damaged areas. This eliminates the need to tear off old roofing, making it a more sustainable roofing practice. A bonus is a smaller crew is needed and the job is done quicker than a new roof installation.
Does roof coating stop leaks?
Yes, using a metal roof coating to stop leaks is a general practice in commercial roofing. It seals up cracks and small holes, stopping any existing roof leaks and preventing any future leaks. Coating the entire roof eliminates the need to inspect the roof and mark every leak.
Do roof sealers work?
Absolutely and in several different ways they provide a metal roof benefits you wouldn’t want to be without. A basic rundown list of those benefits are:
- UV Protection
- Added Fire-Resistance
- Mold Prevention
- Minimize Heated Roof
- Reduce Cooling Costs
How do you seal coat a metal roof?
The roof us thoroughly cleaned and any repairs are done first to assure the sealant adheres. A metal roof sealant comes in 5-gallon buckets and the liquid material is applied by rollers after the metal roofing base coat is applied.
How do you restore a metal roof?
To successfully restore a metal roof, the preparation and cleaning must be thorough before the restoration begins. Five tips for that preparation are:
- Remove rust with acid etching, sand blasting, or a wire brush.
- Clean the roof surface with a rust and oxide remover combination product and rinse thoroughly with clear water. The entire roof should be power washed and scrubbed.
- Tighten and secure all the fasteners, secure the substrates, and replace damaged or missing fasteners and washers.
- Seal the exposed fastener heads and roofing seams that are 1/8” or wider.
- Brush or power blow prior to applying the sealant to remove dirt, dust, etc.
A metal roof is one of the most durable roofs a commercial structure can have in most cases. With a metal roof coating, it becomes more durable, lasting longer and providing an energy saving layer to a roof that is already energy saving on its own. Want a metal roof coating in Atlanta, GA? Call (678) 365-3138 today.